Guide with the best things to see and do in Bucaramanga Santander
Lo lees en 15 minutos
Bucaramanga, capital of the department of Santander, city of parks and Culona ants, Bucaramanga is one of the most beautiful cities in Colombia. Below I will show you the best places you can see and visit on a tourism trip in Santander, as well as the most interesting activities to do in the capital Santandereana, its tourist sites, through the following routes, curious facts, tips and recommendations.
To start, you must know these 5 curious facts of Santander:
Los Santos, is one of the municipalities of Santander. This is the second most seismic place in the world after Hindu Kush in Afghanistan, trembles 20 times a day.
When you visit Zapatoca do not be surprised if you see in the streets, many blond men blue-eyed because here was established the German adventurer Geo Von Lengerke, who is said to have left more than 500 children.
If someone in Santander tells you that you are “atravesado” than the church of Vélez, pay attention because you are in the wrong place or out of place.
The ghost of the Count of Cuchicute rides at night through the streets of Socorro, but do not worry and enjoy this legend of a wealthy Sangileño who went mad in the civil wars of the nineteenth XIX century.
The famous Caño Cristales is not the only place with a seven-colored river, in the town Guadalupe, there is a Quebrada, called the Gachas in which paints in a rainbow, so relax and enjoy this magical place.
What to do in Bucaramanga?
Bucaramanga is a city that breathes nature, sport, culture and fun, visitors who visit Bucaramanga will find reasons to return, its streets or its parks, or maybe its variety of activities. Just 15 minutes away, you can fly in Paragliding, an hour away, you can navigate the largest reservoir in the country or cross by cable car through the second largest canyon in the world. Also, just 20 minutes away you can visit one of the Heritage villages. For these and many reasons, visitors always fall in love with this city. Learn more on the following routes planned for you:
Cultural route and parks
Bucaramanga is a city with several lungs. Nationally known as 'The City of Parks', there are 223 of them scattered throughout the plateau. Definitely know their parks, is one of the plans to do in Bucaramanga, know this route that mentions each of them and places that tell us their origins, do not miss them.
Parque García Rovira
Its name is given in honor of General Custos García Rovira, one of the most important people in Bucaramanga, who participated in the independence efforts. It is located in the historic and political center of the city; between the Mayor’s Office and the Governor’s Office.
Location: Cra 11 - 35
Biblioteca Pública Municipal Gabriel Turbay
On September 3, 1973, a project was founded by Santanderean politician Rodolfo Gonzales García and sociologist Jorge Valderrama Restrepo. This institution has a bibliographic collection of more than 88 thousand volumes, which are in its seven rooms of consultation:Informatics, Newspaper library, Children, General Reading, Reference, Audiovisual and Music. It also has the Jorge Mantilla Caballero Exhibition Hall and the Pedro Gómez Valderrama auditorium.
Location: 30 Street # 26 – 117
La Casa del Libro Total
With a history of more than 200 years, this house located in the center of Bucaramanga, was equipped to provide visitors with a place of recreation, where music, poetry, painting and literature were the protagonists. Exhibitions, talks, recitals, among other events are organized there.
Location: 35 Street # 9 – 81
Museo Casa de Bolívar
This house of footsteps was where the Liberator Simón Bolívar stayed, this is a place that you can visit in Bucaramanga to learn about the roots of Colombia. It is the headquarters of the History Academy of Santander and has a museum where you can see about 4,000 pieces that speak about the archaeological and artistic richness of the northeastern area of the country. In this place the liberator remained for two months waiting for the results of the Ocaña convention.
Location: 37 Street # 12 – 15
Museo de Arte Moderno
This important museum was founded in 1989 and today contains around 217 objects in its art collection. It is located in a one-storey house, divided into two exhibition rooms, a sculpture patio, a garden and a workshop terrace.
Location: Street 37 # 26 – 16
In this Cemetery Park located in one of the most beautiful and quiet places of Bucaramanga, the Lagos del Cacique neighborhood, you will find the "Gua Museum", this is a space that we invite you to know as well as enjoy the beauty of its facilities and landscape, this will allow you to travel the history and milestones of the urban development of our city and to know its most important historical characters.
Here you can find the heart of the city, a meeting point for bumangueses. In its surroundings we can find banks, La Catedral de la Sagrada Familia, el Hotel de La Triada, UIS - Bucarica and El Club del Comercio.
Location: From the 35 Street to the 37 Street and from the 10 to 11 cra.
Parque Cívica Luis Carlos Galán Sarmiento
This is a tribute to the immolated and political leader of Santander, assassinated in 1989. In the surroundings you will find the Palace of Justice, the San Laureano Church, the Municipality of Bucaramanga and the Government of Santander. It is the epicenter of cultural events and public and civil demonstrations.
Location: 35 Street # 11 – 12
Centro Cultural del Oriente Colombiano
The Centro Cultural del Oriente in the heart of Bucaramanga, this is a treasure trove of republican architecture in which are highlighted underground chambers, arches, columns, gardens and small squares. The building was designed by the priest Santiago Páramo Ortiz and had two constructive stages. The first stage began in 1898, but work was suspended because of the Thousand Day War (1899 - 1903). The second stage began after the confrontations ended and lasted until 1911, the year in which the building was completed. The schools of San Pedro Claver and Nuestra Señora del Pilar operated there. The place was declared a National Monument in 1995.
Since 1932, the Santander Theatre has had a privileged location in the heart of Bucaramanga, in the traditional centre of the city and a few metres from the Centro Cultural del Oriente.
Located in the Barrio Centro of the city, next to the Centenario Park, the Santander Theatre is distinguished by its architectural character, its demanding technical conditions and its varied and quality offer.
Location: 19 # 31 – 65
Located between 44th and 45th streets with race 11 and 12, in its center there is an obelisk that was raised in tribute to the priest Francisco Romero (great coffee promoter in Santander) surrounded by the old central cemetery of Bucaramanga, the San Juan de Dios Hospital and the Departmental Secretary of Health. It has a football field, flower stalls for people looking to buy flowers for their dead, in love or loved ones.
Iglesia San Francisco de Asís
This church is located in a neighborhood that has the same name. It belongs to the bishopric of Santander and is included in the lists of Artistic Heritage - religious of Cantabria.
Iglesia San Laureano
The church was built in 1778 when the extinction of the indigenous reservation of Bucaramanga occurred and it was formed as a parish.
Capilla de los Dolores
The small Chapel of the Sorrows was built in the same place where on December 22, 1622 the priest doctrine Miguel de Trujillo celebrated the ceremony. With this simple ceremony the population began.
Catedral de la Sagrada Familia
The church was built in the 19th century and was elevated to a cathedral in 1953. The temple is distinguished by its two towers of 72 meters and the ceramic dome.
Location: 36 street between the 19 and 20. In front of the Parque Santander
Parque de las luces
The "Park of the Lights" is located on the 41 of Altos Cabecera, in a space of about 2,000 meters between the College San Paulo and the Residential Complex Cantabria I. This park located in the middle of beautiful trees, with a side view of the imposing building Majestic, was inaugurated in December 2019 and has pedestrian paths, children’s games with sandbox, an outdoor gym area, a contemplative mesh and the most striking in addition to the transformation of the place itself: 28 translucent and programmable interactive poles located in the park, in which figures and colors are projected as is currently the case with the bridge of the ninth.
Parque de la Sociedad de Mejoras Públicas
In this park, travelers can walk along trails, which have palm trees, gardens, and water fountains that are visited by ducks and other birds. It also has mechanical attractions for the enjoyment of children and a recognized stage for the presentation of artistic and cultural events, the Acoustic Shell José A. Morales.
- Location: 36 Street No. 28-29
- Time for attention: From Monday to Friday - From 4:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. and during the Weekend from 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Contact: 6329215 – 6453640
Parque del Agua
Fun and education are combined in the Water Park, located at the headquarters of the Bucaramanga Metropolitan Aqueduct. In this place it is possible to make a tour of trails decorated with fern gardens along which there are fountains, waterfalls and wells where fish and turtles live. The park is full of lights at Christmas time.
- Location: Diagonal 32 No. 30ª-51
- Time for attention: From Wednesdays to Fridays - From 8:00 a.m. to 12:00 m. and from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.,During the weekend and also the holidays, the time for attention is from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Contact: 6322000
Parque La Flora
This site has an ecological trail throughout the park. It is ideal for an ecological walk in an environment full of trees. It also has a large adventure area and effort staircase, children’s play area and a kiosk.
- Location: 36 Street, behind the La Merced and La Presentación, two Schools of Bucaramanga.
- Time for attention: From Monday to Sunday, from 5:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Contact: CDMB 6346100
The structure of the bridge is supported by two pillars 130 meters high, popularly called the Cable Stayed Bridge. A mega structure that dresses in lights at night and celebrates every national holiday, visitors and locals frequent the bridge to take pictures.
Monumento a la Hormiga
In the vicinity of the Neomundo Convention Center and the athletics stadium. In the middle of an arborized with fountains and benches, a modern sculpture that pays homage to this insect symbol of the identity of Santander
If you are going to walk through the parks of Bucaramanga, remember to bring sunscreen and a bottle of water.
Another way you can enjoy the 'City of Parks' and feel the rhythm and beauty that characterizes Bucaramanga, making the tour through the 9 commercial places.
Cacique Centro Comercial
It is located at Transversal 93 #34- 99 El Tejar Bucaramanga. It is the largest commercial complex in Santander, with 276 commercial establishments, a business tower with 70 offices and an internationally renowned hotel (Holiday Inn).
De La Cuesta Centro Comercial
It is located in Carrera 15 No. 3AN - 10, Piedecuesta, Santander. In the main commercial center of the south of the metropolitan area of Bucaramanga you find a varied commercial offer, the largest food square of Santander and the second Cine Colombia with greater affluence in the region.
La Florida Centro Comercial
It is located at Calle 31 No. 26ª-19 Cañaveral, Floridablanca. In 52 thousand square meters of built area, La Florida offers 89 premises and 689 parking spaces.This mall stands out for its offer in accessories, sports and household goods, footwear, jewelry, toy, optics, technology, fashion and more options from national and international brands.
Centro Comercial Parque Caracolí
It is located in Carrera 27 #29-145, Floridablanca, Santander. This has 153 premises and a snail structure, this mall is easy to walk and its square has a varied offer of food and places to spend a pleasant time watching the sunsets of Floridablanca.
Centro Comercial Cañaveral
It is located Calle 30 # 25 - 71 sector Cañaveral, Floridablanca Santander. It is one of the most traditional shopping centers of Bucaramanga and its metropolitan area, with 35 years and 25 thousand square meters.
Centro Comercial La Quinta
It is located at Carrera 36 #49-45, Bucaramanga. It has 90 exclusive brands in its six floors located in a strategic sector of Cabecera del Llano. It also has a food square, valet parking in its parking lots, bicycle parking and cafes to spend a pleasant time.
Centro Comercial Cuarta Etapa
It is located in Carrera 35ª No. 49-55 Cabecera, Bucaramanga, Santander. One of the shopping centers of tradition in the city, is located in the commercial area of Cabecera del Llano, this mall is characterized by having an offer of Santander products, with shoe stores and fashion for the family of local origin.
Centro Comercial Megamall
It is located in Carrera 33a # 29 - 15, Bucaramanga. Megamall is characterized by varied programming of activities and entertainment. But it is also the first sustainable shopping center in the city, with a bioclimatic facade that saves energy from air conditioning.
Centro Comercial Acrópolis
It is located on Calle 56 # 9 - 140, Bucaramanga. It has 165 shops plus a supermarket (Más por menos), a food court and 3 cinemas. This mall has a strong presence of local brands and children’s entertainment, plus a car track in its basement.
Ruta Bucaramanga nocturna
Move your body to the rhythm of the nights of Bucaramanga. Pay attention to the best places selected for you.
Guillermo Sorzano Park, called "San Pio"
Is the main lung and one of the most visited places in the area of Cabecera. Around there is a shopping area between the Cra. 33 and 36, in addition, has a varied gastronomic proposal, of bars and cafes for everyone, where to chat and chat with the arrival of the cool night. There you will also find the "naked standing woman" or "La gorda" as the city people call the sculpture of the master Fernando Botero.
This is the cradle of vallenato in Bucaramanga, which is also characterized by good crossover rumba.
- Cover: Fridays and Saturdays $15,000 COP, non consumable. With this price a card is given to participate in different activities of the site and a discount of $5,000 COP in next cover.
- What will you find on the menu?: They have a different soft and strong liquors, choice of cocktail and meals.
- Hours: Thursday from 4:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m., Friday and Saturday from 4:00 pm to 4:00 am.
- Right of admission: Entry is not allowed with caps, nor in bermuda.
Reservations: On the phone 6578089 or 3174034623.
The bar where you will find the best concerts and a musical variety from reggaeton, to electronics, rock and salsa.
- Cover: Most events are free entry. Special events have cover, their cost is between $10,000 and $20,000 COP pesos. Special events between $30,000 and $50,000 COP.
- What can you find on the menu?: Alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages are offered, such as fresh water. To eat there is an alliance with Good Burger.
- Opening hours: Wednesday from 7:00 p.m.-1:00 a.m.; Thursday from 7:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m.; Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 7:00 p.m. to 4:00 a.m.
- Admission right: There is a policy of inclusion but the premises reserves the admission of people in a state of drunkenness or that is seen problematic .
Reservations to 3186610258
We are a sports bar with restaurant service and rumba on weekends.
- Cover: Only Saturdays at $10,000 COP non consumable. Cost may vary for special events
- What can you find on the menu?: In meals there is the restaurant part of the place, whose specialties are hamburgers, pizzas, tacos, dishes to share. In the club there is a menu of drinks, cocktails and classics.
- Opening hours: Monday to Wednesday, from 12:00 m. to 12:00 p.m.; Thursday, from 12:00 m. to 1:00 a.m.; Friday and Saturday, from 12:00 m.- 2:00 a.m., and Sunday, from 12:00 m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Admission right: The entrance is reserved for persons over 21, caps and shorts are not allowed
Reservations: Restaurant only at 6959898 and 3126112824
Trinidad Casa Latina
Trinidad Casa Latina has three different offers. A restaurant with a fairly complete menu, plus a discotheque inspired by our Latin culture and an offer of live shows of mariachi, vallenato and rock in Spanish.
- Cover: Restaurant: No cover / Nightclub: Friday and Saturday $10,000 COP - Comedy Show $15,000 COP (Not Consumables)
- What will you find on the menu?: Restaurant: Full menu of food, cocktails, refreshing drinks and liquor / Disco: fast food and snacks, all liquor and cocktail until midnight.
- Opening hours: Restaurant: Monday to Wednesday from 6:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. and Thursday to Saturday from 6:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. / Nightclub: Friday, Saturday and Sunday (on holiday bridge only) from 9:00 p.m. to 4:00 a.m.
- Admission right: No caps, no sneakers and no minors
A cocktail, a wine or a beer; maybe wings or potatoes, with a good music that does not stun the talk. Everything you are looking for in a relaxed night to chat with your friends and get out of the routine is in Bucaramanga.
The Bucaramanga brewery. Enjoy beers from around the world in this corner of the city.
- Cover: No
- What can you find on the menu?: Beer-focused offer, offering afternoon and evening options. In the restaurant there is a variety of strong dishes, such as pork chops, and to share.
- Opening Hours: Monday to Thursday from 11:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.; Friday and Saturday from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m.
- Right of admission: inclusion policy for all types of public but reserves the right of admission to people in a state of drunkenness or that looks problematic
Reservations: by telephone at 6577675 or in person
Un espacio muy europeo para apreciar y compartir la cultura ancestral del vino, en un sitio mágico y ancestral como es la alameda de Girón.
- Cover: No
- What will you find on the card?: An offer that combines different preparations of wine with its pairing, apart from other dishes of European descent such as paella.
- Opening hours: Every day from 4:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m.
- Right of admission: No
Reservations: Via Whatsapp to 3173729463
Cocktails Enjoy the best cocktails in Bucaramanga and its metropolitan area in the bars with the energy and attitude you need.
It is a very alternative place with inclusive policies and a variety of environments.
- Cover: Saturdays only at $10,000 COP
- What will you find on the card?: Alcoholic beverages, snack food (empanadas, nachos, sandwich and papas bravas) and non-alcoholic beverages, such as juices and lemonades.
- Opening hours: Thursday from 6:00 p.m. to 12:00 p.m.; Friday, Saturday and Sunday (when there is a holiday bridge), from 6:00 p.m. to 3:30 a.m.
- Admission right: Entry is prohibited in shorts, caps and only over 21 years old with ID document, not passwords.
Reservations: to 3185103970
BBC La Bodega
At BGA BBC arrived to bring craft brewing culture.
- Cover: No
- What will you find on the menu?: Great variety of beer, cocktails with beer and non-alcoholic cocktails. Snacks and drinks.
- Opening times: Every day from 12:00 m. to 2:00 a.m.
- Right of admission: Not applicable
Reservations Not applicable
Make It Public
Away and close to everything. Music, food, a good drink and friends are the best ingredients of a good night
- Cover: Yes, it varies depending on the evening schedule. It is not consumable.
- What can you find on the menu?: Specializing in cocktails, offers drinks without liquor, and bottles. The restaurant offers fast food and tapas.
- Opening hours: Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 6:00 p.m. to 12:00 p.m.; Thursdays from 6:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m.; Fridays and Saturdays from 6:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m., and Sundays (only if there is a holiday bridge) from 6:00 p.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Admission right: Applies at the discretion of the place against informal clothing
Reservations: to the phone number 6964896, 318 330 7160 and 318 456 7158
Ruta de la Hamburguesa
There’s no better presentation of a place than a good burger. Between two pieces of bread you can find the identity of a city, its history and its personality. Do you want to know what Bucaramanga tastes like? Bucaramanga tastes like tartar with pineapple, ember and the sound of meat meeting fire. We invite you to discover it in the best possible way: activating your palate.
"Every bite is a beat of flavor" All the attitude of Rock n Roll is in our burgers. Each option is a beat of flavor.
- Category: Casual
- Star Plate: Roadie for sweet and sour palates and Pork Roll for classic palates.
- Star combination: Price range: $15,000 - $4,000 COP
- Vegetarian menu: yes
- Children’s menu: yes
"The taste of rock on your table" A musical journey that ends in the palate is what Alrock offers. An experience of flavors designed to remember the classics of rock.
- Category: Semi-formal
- Star dish: AC/DC (winner Burger Master 2018)
- Star combination: Coconut lemonade with Rolling Stone
- Price range: $10,000 - $25,000 COP
- Vegetarian menu: no
- Children’s menu: no
"Of the best “novillos” in Santander" In Mercagán the most important thing is the meat and the grill. Your hamburgers seek to highlight beef and a good fire.
- Category: Casual
- Star Plate: Premium Burger
- Star Combination: Any of our Panela Lemonade Burgers
- Price Range: $10,000 - $60,000 COP
- Vegetarian Menu: No
- Children’s Menu: Yes
Camacho’s Artisanal Burger
"Our secret ingredient is God '' The flavor of Camacho’s includes the boldness of a kitchen that is not afraid to say that it will never be less and less when it comes to burgers to conquer the bumangueses.
- Category: Casual
- Star plate: Mad Monster
- Star combination: Balls of the Entry Tragón, a Mefir and a Males divided from the main course, accompanied by some Severe Fries Junior.
- Drink, mint lemonade and dessert: three milks, lemon mousse or passion of passion fruit
- Price range: $15,000 - $50,000 COP
- Vegetarian menu: yes
- Children’s menu: yes
"Wherever you want, whenever you want" The Garage has years of experience in burgers, to generate unique and risky flavors. All with a rocker attitude and energy.
- Category: Semi-formal
- Star Dish: Santander Rock Burger
- Star Combo: Santander Rock Burger with Lemon Hail
- Price Range: $15,000 - $50,000 COP
- Vegetarian Menu: Yes
- Children’s Menu: Yes
What to do around you?
One of the heritage towns, Girón is the colonial jewel of the area, a preserved monument of Andalusian lineage.
Cerro del Santísimo
In the middle of the nature of Cerro de la Judía, the Cerro del Santísimo Ecopark and its monument to la fé offer us the best view of the metropolitan area.
Mesa de Ruitoque
Golf, Paragliding, gastronomy and ecotourism... La Mesa de Ruitoque offers numerous options, such as paragliding from the Voladero Las Águilas.
Mesa de los Santos
Just 5 minutes from Piedecuesta is the access to the Mesa de los Santos, which in 30 minutes will take us to an agritourism paradise, with a variety of ecological and gastronomic offers.
The "Levitical city" "city of silk climate", Zapatoca is fashionable for its tranquility, renewed architectural heritage and natural environment.
Soto Norte and the water factory
After the reservoir of the Rio de Tona we will find the towns of Soto Norte, and then to the precious Páramo de Santurbán.
Black River and Way to the Sea
At 30 minutes from Bucaramanga on the way to the sea, municipalities such as Rionegro and El Playón offer us numerous natural spas and waterfalls such as those of Misiguay and El Salto de la India.
The Petrolero port offers the magic of the tropical and riverside environment of the Magdalena River and swamps such as San Silvestre and El Llanito, among other attractions.
45 minutes from Bucaramanga, this huge artificial lake of 7,000 hectares offers great potential for nautical activities and ecotourism. of the Magdalena River and bogs such as San Silvestre and El Llanito, among other attractions.
Currently, the tourist supply in the city is growing hand in hand with the development of the region. This boom of new hotel ventures in Bucaramanga also opens its doors to large hotel chains that have bet on the municipality.
We always recommend staying in formal tourist service establishments. To verify the above, in case of not being visible, ask for the National Tourism Registry (R.N.T) and make sure it is up to date.
At the pace of hotel growth, the gastronomic offer of the city is also growing, breaking paradigms and bringing new aromas, flavors and colors, which go from the typical to the great variety of dishes of high national and international quality; They also carry out large infrastructure projects, generating different concepts to impress the most exquisite and demanding palates, which allow to provide avant-garde spaces with quality service.
- Entity: Municipality
- Department: Santander
- Country: Colombia
- Foundation: Erected as a parish in 1778
- Area: 162 KM
- Population: 528,575 inhabitants
- Metropolitan Area: 1,132,367
- Temperature: 23°C
- Indicative: (7)
- Mass Transit System: Metrolínea
How to get there?
By Air: Palonegro International Airport - Lebrija, Via Barrancabermeja.
- Key Facts: Taxi service from the airport to Bucaramanga has a standard cost of $32,000
- There is a bus taxi service between the airport and the city center at a cost of $10,000 - There is no direct bus route
- Road: Bucaramanga Transport Terminal - Metropolitan Transversal.
- Important information: The terminal is located within the urban perimeter of Bucaramanga and is reached by conventional urban transport. No extra rates.
The Terminal is divided by four modules. Only these passages are sold. On the first floor of the structure are located the road exits
Cúcuta 200 km
Bogotá 398 km
Barrancabermeja 115 km
Medellín 391 km
We hope this small advance will be of great help to all those travelers who are planning to visit Bucaramanga and still do not know what places to see. The most important thing is that, no matter which route you decide to take, make sure you include at least one of these destinations in your travel plan; you will surely find out more about Bucaramanga than you had planned. Don’t forget to share and comment.